How to find the best and most qualified SEO expert to attract potential customers to your company website
“When you build it, he will come.”
Field of dreams
This is even more true for SEO. We call it website optimization and it’s no longer nice to have, it’s a must!
One of the keys to getting higher rankings on Google is knowing exactly what your prospect is looking for and making sure that your website offers what they expect when they arrive.
This is known as “search engine optimization”. Unfortunately, the vast majority of websites on the internet are not properly optimized for keywords or phrases related to their subject.
A professional SEO marketing strategy will ensure that your website is properly optimized and not only for the keywords that are most popular but also most relevant to your business.
A balanced and sustainable approach wins
As a business owner, you have undoubtedly received many emails and phone calls from so-called SEO experts telling you that they guarantee 1st place on Google and thousands of visitors to your website every month.
SEO just doesn’t work that way.
“Expert” advice in this area is about as common as ants at a picnic.
What works is a balanced and sustainable approach to digital marketing strategies from SEO.
The industry is developing rapidly and changing every day. You always have to be open to new ideas, but with a well-informed understanding of solid principles.
What worked yesterday may not work today and what works now may be out of date tomorrow. Some of the preconceived notions of these “experts” may have been wrong at first or soon be as extinct as the dodo bird.
Do yourself a great favor by bombarding all of the SEO information and advice and taking a step back and looking at the basics.
Read on to find out more about SEO and how it directly affects your company’s website performance on search engines.
SEO in Marketing 101
Let’s start by understanding SEO basics and the 3 Rs that need to be considered when optimizing your website.
The 3 Rs of SEO
- Research: What are your goals and what is SEO about? Read up on the advice you get and don’t be sold a BOM that isn’t required to get the results you want. In this industry, you don’t always get what you pay for. So educate yourself, do your research, and ask questions.
- Relevance: Are your web pages relevant to the search term you want to rank higher with? Is it relevant for optimization or does it even need SEO? Any SEO strategy could fail without a balanced approach to your needs. Find the balance of your budget and the relevance of your needs and ask a reputable digital marketing agency to be honest with the implementation.
- References: Ask for references from any company you want to hire for your SEO. Ask and talk to customers who have gone through your program. Any business worth the salt can easily provide customer testimonials or encourage you to reach out to customers yourself when a portfolio needs to be provided and what is worth paying for.
The reality of SEO
Most business owners are really tired of being inundated with digital marketing opportunities everywhere, but are nonetheless receptive to the kind of “just-in-time” marketing that is represented by a high ranking in Google results.
The reality is; If you own a business website, you need to consider implementing an SEO content strategy.
As a business owner or entrepreneur, you need to decide what role the internet will play in your business marketing model and whether to run a strategic search engine marketing campaign.
Regardless of your decision about building a website, SEO plays an important role in the discovery and searchability of your website.
Search engine optimization and digital marketing in general can serve different purposes. It can generate sales and leads both online and offline.
A bonus that is often overlooked by SEO is that your website / business’s prominent position on Google results pages will contribute to a higher result:
- Industry exposure,
- Ranking lists,
- Target market attraction and
- Brand / name recognition.
When done correctly, Search Engine Optimization can bring people to your sites who are actually looking for what you are offering. They know they are looking for it because they entered a keyword or phrase that is directly related to your content.
In short, hiring a reputable digital marketing agency for your business can, depending on the package and service offering:
- Investigate your online competition.
- Research and implement targeted keywords and phrases.
- Rewrite and revise your content to make it as good as possible, using your keywords and phrases as you go.
- Make sure your website doesn’t have any items that Google may “blacklist” it.
- Use meta tags correctly. page-specific if warranted;
- Keep track of your website rankings and update your content to improve your ratings even further.
- Think outside the box and use plenty of creative and ethical methods to increase qualified traffic.
- Stay up to date with the ever evolving landscape of online marketing, including blogs, social media, and algorithm changes.
“I can do it myself!”
Do-it-yourself SEO is a risky prospect.
Search engine optimization is not a quick overnight process. It takes research and work. It is literally a full-time job keeping abreast of the constant changes in the algorithm to keep your website high in search results.
Because of this, hiring a specialist will provide you with the best ROI on this important business investment.
There are many benefits to hiring a professional digital marketing agency.
A good digital marketing agency knows how to use SEO in marketing strategies.
Take Google, for example. They have their unique rules, algorithms, regulations, etc. that are applied when websites are indexed. To provide users with relevant content, they search for specific things on web pages.
A professional SEO professional will understand what is needed and strive to ensure that your content is displayed to the user instead of your competitor.
Work proactively with your digital marketing agency, but not alone.
Don’t expect a gold mine with high rankings and heavy traffic overnight.
Working with someone to get higher rankings and awareness can take months or more.
The first part of the project will take the form of an off-page SEO strategy, which involves making an SEO-optimized website copy and creating meta-tag keywords, page titles and descriptions. Also, they will work with you to get keyword rich content on your websites.
Then over the next few weeks / months they should help you track your ranking on Google and suggest other changes to improve your rankings.
Without proper SEO marketing strategies, your website and business can suffer or fail to reach their full potential. It’s a small price to pay for a sustainable business model.
It is really in your best interests to find a company that is knowledgeable about both marketing and web development. The two industries are so closely related that you can really benefit from a comprehensive approach to your marketing program.
Originally published here.
Author: Susan Friesen
Susan Friesen, founder of the award-winning web development and digital marketing company eVision Media, is a web specialist, business & marketing consultant and social media consultant. She works with entrepreneurs struggling with the lack of knowledge, skills and support to build their online business presence.
As a … Show complete profile >