Any student studying web design knowledge is well aware of the intense competition in this industry. And qualified and well-trained specialists are in great demand today, whether you are a future paper writer, teacher or designer. Because of this, web design students need to remain flexible and creative when it comes to their clients’ needs. To help them get inspired and produce something worth evaluating, here are four web design practices.
4 Helpful Web Design Practices for Students
Let’s see what four key tips can help web design students show impressive results and showcase a high quality product.
Make a plan and follow it
Planning is always crucial when it comes to planning your work project or study. Of course, web design is no exception. When a web design learner receives a college assignment or order from a prospect, they should plan their work. It is important to explain step by step how everything can be done within the deadline. A good plan for designing a website involves three important steps:
- Define the ultimate goal of the future website. By understanding the purpose of the website, students can see what outcome is expected of them. This way, you can be sure that you are meeting your customer’s needs.
- Think about the website visitors and their wishes / intentions. Now that the purpose has been established, it’s time to think about the expectations of future website visitors. What would you want to see there? Which layout would be most convenient for you?
- Make sure the design and impression of the website are consistent. Create styling instructions to make sure the color scheme, fonts, sizes, and other aspects are harmonious. It helps create eye-catching website design.
Make sure the website design is user friendly
If you are just learning the ropes of web design, you should definitely pay attention to this tip.
Almost every virtual platform is an online representation of a particular company, brand, etc. It must therefore be easy to read and navigate in order to be more convenient for potential customers. It should also serve as a place for customers to share their feedback.
Hence, a web designer student needs to make sure that the audience finds what they are looking for with ease. Current web design learners should keep this in mind when learning to create platforms with intuitive design.
Everything must be done to improve visitor comfort, from colors and fonts to the structure and arrangement of elements. For example, if the future website is mainly used by older visitors, you should improve readability. When people who prefer fast and understandable navigation represent the target audience, you are also working on making website navigation easier. It’s important to include instant order forms and other fast-moving items.
Make sure search engines “see” the website
It is known that not every online platform is recognized by search engines. Therefore, it usually doesn’t show up in search results – at least not in the top 10. It can happen even when a website is working and has useful and engaging information. All because one web designer didn’t think that the layout of the website should be legible for both visitors and search engines. Therefore, an online store, stationery service offering academic help, or some other virtual platform needs to be created as a search engine friendly website.
The instructions for creating a search engine friendly structure are provided below:
- Ensure a so-called breadcrumb trail. It is often referred to as secondary navigation. It helps a visitor to see whether he is on the platform or not.
- Add headings as these are an integral part of the text layout. Therefore, they are of crucial importance for both target group and search engine optimization.
- Wherever applicable, use bulleted lists. They make it easier to find information and involve users.
- Display key menu items at the front and top so readers can see them right away. Use the footer to provide helpful links.
- Avoid using harsh colors and too many images on the website for an organization that doesn’t specialize in visual design, photography, etc.
- Introduce image zoom and thumbnail view for faster page loading.
Go for the mobile-first method
There is no doubt that countless users are surfing the Internet through their portable devices – smartphones and tablets. For this reason, it is advisable to consider mobile gadgets as the main option when designing a website. In addition, it is better to opt for a mobile-first structure. It is another way of attracting customers and maintaining their interest.
It has been proven that platforms built using the mobile-first approach are attracting more attention. Hence, they usually rank higher in search engine results. Implement a mobile-first design to ensure the future website is engaging and efficient. This increases the website’s traffic and conversion rates, which is the main goal of any online platform.