Contributor: Steve Pockross, CEO – Verblio |
Released: 17th August 2021
Steve Pockross, CEO – Verblio
17th August 2021
Over the past year, the world has faced unprecedented challenges as companies around the world have had to adapt to changing lifestyles and priorities. But how has the global pandemic affected content creation and the digital marketing industry? Let’s find out.
The most sought-after marketing skills
Verblio’s annual survey found SEO and SEM to be the most sought-after marketing skills, with creative thinking, brainstorming and copywriting ranking second and third.
- SEO is the most sought-after skill in the industry
- 67% of agencies hired during the pandemic, however 51% struggled to find people with the skills they needed, 52% said they struggled to find contractors with the skills they needed, and 39% were concerned about a skills gap in the industry
- Content demand up 71%
- Asana is the top content success tool in the industry
- 18% of marketers admit buying links
- Agencies gained an average of 9 clients and lost fewer than 4 in the past year
- 75% expect further growth through 2021 and beyond
- Blog posts (61%), landing pages (42%) and social media Posts (35%) are the most profitable content types
- Social media posts (79%), email newsletters (65%), and public relations (27%) are the most popular promotions
- Blog posts (61%), landing pages (47%), and videos (43%) are the best pieces of content to invest in
Content demand up 71%
Despite the pandemic, the vast majority of respondents said their agency had indeed seen business growth over the past 12 months, with 71% agreeing that the demand for content had specifically increased.
Number of customers increased
In the past year, agencies gained an average of nine new customers and lost fewer than four.
75% expect further growth in the industry
A whopping 75% of respondents believe that content income will increase in the next year, while only 3% believe it will decrease.
Verblio found that agencies charge an average of over $ 2,000 for an interactive campaign and more than a quarter charge more than $ 5,000 and more. Unsurprisingly, with an average price of $ 130, social media posts are the cheapest content type.
The most profitable content types
Despite interactive campaigns that get the highest price, blogs take the top spot when it comes to generating profits. 62% choose blogs as one of their most profitable content offerings. Landing pages come in second, with 42% reporting they are a top profit maker for their business.
Best method for advertising
Almost all experts agree that some form of advertising is required to get results. Advertising on client’s social media is the most popular method at 79%, but 18% of agencies still admit buying links and coverage.
The best content to invest
We asked our experts what content offerings they would like to invest in the most over the next five years, and blogs are taking the crown. Over 61% of content creators want to expand and develop their blog offering, with landing pages and videos not far behind.
Employment in content marketing
Despite the slowdown in many other industries over the past year, most digital marketing agencies hired during the pandemic, with 51% struggling to find the skills they needed.
67% of agencies hired during the pandemic, but 52% said they had difficulty finding contractors with the skills they needed and 39% were concerned about an industry skill gap.
The 10 best tools for success
29% of agencies do not rely on certain tools. However, the other 71% have a lot that they cannot live without. Here are the top 10 tools for being successful in digital marketing.
- crazy egg
- Happy orange
Commenting on the survey results, Steve Pockross, CEO of Verblio, said, “The results of the 2021 Digital Agencies Survey show that despite a crazy year like 2020, agencies continue to see the value of content marketing, with demand for the service increasing 71%.”
He continued, “It is encouraging to learn that 67% were hired during the pandemic, with SEO being the most sought-after skill. But with 51% struggling to find the right people for the job and 39% worried about a skills gap, it is clear that more needs to be done to train teams and attract more talent to the industry. ”
When asked for advice on creating great content, Andy Crestodina, Co-Founder of Orbit Media, told Verblio, “Create real thought or become a primary resource, invest in visuals, work with influencers and go back and update old articles without the URLs to change.”